Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A lack of verandahs

Things are still a bit quiet on the Crowl front, but we’ve now booked a flight to Hamburg for early in October, as the beginning of our European train tripping around. And we’ve booked our first piece of accommodation. Scary.
Meanwhile, today we went into Norwich intending to go to see the Roman Catholic Cathedral (which we tried to see a few days ago and couldn’t find where to park conveniently), but Celia got stuck in a department store while I went to take some books back to the Norwich library (yes, of course I have an English library card) and that was the last I saw of her for an hour and a half or more. When I say ‘stuck’ I mean she decided she could do some shopping while I wasn’t standing alongside her being annoying, so she just got on and did. The poor old Cathedral missed out on our patronage again as she was too exhausted after all the trying on of clothes to walk along Chapelfield from the main shopping area.
Never mind, we’ll get there eventually.
It was raining in a misty sort of fashion when we got into Norwich, and continued to do so while we were there. What the English cities and towns could do with are the verandahs we have in NZ, which protect shoppers from the rain - pretty much. Dripping your way around a shopping area with no cover isn’t fun.
It was raining last night too, when we went to see The Bourne Ultimatum. The Riverside complex, where the multiplex is, doesn’t have any shelter either!

1 comment:

Verandahs Adelaide said...

I am fascinated with verandahs and wherever I go appreciate buildings/ homes that have one. For me, I like the old style verandahs which you hardly find these days. They are so functional at the same time they add much character to a home/ building.