Thursday, June 28, 2007

And gardens, and volunteers, and a bookshop

I barely mentioned the Gardens in my last post. Blickling Hall has enormous cultured gardens, with trees shaped in certain ways, thousands of plants of every kind, long walks both amongst trees and out in the open, a 'temple', various gazebos and so forth, and a lake. It's possible the lake is man-made, as was often the case with these stately homes. But I don't have anything to back that up, except that the other night I was watching a television program which talked about the way at a certain period in English history, the owners of such homes tended to reproduce the art of other countries, and to make their own lakes. These lakes were supposed to add to the beauty of the already beautiful surroundings, and often had little classical temples dotted around the banks.
It would take a month of Sundays to explore the gardens in their entirety, and it must take a large number of staff to keep them as beautiful as they are. I saw at least five workers while I was there, but I'd suspect there are a great many more.
There's also a secondhand bookshop within the grounds. Now you'd expect the restaurant, and even the area where they sell plants, but a secondhand bookshop? It's not just you're 'fit-in-the-corner' type bookshop either. It's very extensive, and has a great collection of books. It must do well - certainly there are plenty of visitors to Blickling, I'd imagine. It does have a name, but I can't remember it.
And one other point: the volunteers. In each room we went to there was at least one volunteer person directing traffic, or answering questions (with considerable knowledge about the place), or greeting people, or helping disabled people in and out of the lift, and so on. Most of them were well past retirement, and I don't think I'd envy the job of standing in a room for several hours at a time. But they all seemed to be taking it in their stride.

No comments: